Location : Bario, Miri Division, Sarawak, Malaysia.
Bario is a community of 13 to 16 villages located on the Kelabit Highlands in Miri Division, Sarawak, Malaysia, lying at an altitude of 1000 m (3280 ft) above sea level. It is the main settlement for the indigenous Kelabit tribe. The name “Bario” comes from Kelabit language and means “wind”. Rice and pineapple are the two notable agriculture products from Bario. Other notable items include beads and Bario salt. (Wiki)
Besides the time that we spent on the official program at the venue, we also had some fun time with our homestay mates both outdoor and indoor. For the more physical demanding ones would be climbing the nearby Korean Hill or the more popular Prayer Mountain.
We were scaling the Prayer Mountain and almost hitting the summit when drizzle came. We debated whether to continue or turn back but chose the latter for fear it could develop into a heavy downpour noting that there were no proper steps or hand rails to assist the descent. The RM5 climbing fee should have been used to make the trail safer for climbers in all weather conditions.
In the evening we had special BBQ sessions in the center of the kitchen. No meat involved! Just palm shoots, bananas and pineapples.
The visit to the pineapple farm was unforgettable with Zack as our guide. Tried farm fresh pineapples while there.
Before we called it a day we shot off to the solar power station.
Perhaps, next trip we could do the Pa Ramapuh waterfall or visit Pa Lungan for the megaliths.
To see more photos, please click our FACEBOOK PAGE
Also please check out our posts on our whole journey of Pesta Nukenen trip:
- Limbang Meritam Mud Volcano
- Limbang Town
- Lawas Awat Awat village
- Fly to Ba’kelalan from Lawas
- Long Langai Bakelalan
- Asang Langai Botanical Garden
- Cross Border to Long Bawan
- Wisata Krayan
- Lesson in organic rice planting
- Bario Kelabit Highlands Finally!
- Bario Food & Cultural Festival Begins
- Kelabit Cultural Dance & Traditional Sports
- Beautiful Kelabits Ladies & Their Beads
- Bits & Pieces Of Bario Food Festival
- A brief stop over at Marudi Town
- Miri City, Falling for Succulents
- Miri Updates Part 1
- Miri Updates Part 2 and final