Location : Desa Long Bawan, Kecamatan Krayan, Kabupaten Nunukan, Kalimantan Utara, Indonesia.
Thanks to our guide Sem’s profound knowledge of this neighbouring town, we were able to enjoy this short visit to the most remote part of the Krayan district of North Kalimantan or Kaltara as the locals call it.
Nearby the town is the Semaring Airport that caters for flights coming in from Nunukan, Malinau and Tarakan. Two airlines servicing this highland town are Missionary Aviation Fellowship (MAF) and Susi Air using ATR planes which is a lot better than Malaysia’s Twin Otters.
Crossborder tourism is foreseeable between Northern Sarawak and Kaltara once the CIQs and infrastructures are ready. Meanwhile let us see what Long Bawan has to offer.
Well to summarise, we visited the ‘Rurum Megai’ craft shop operated on a community basis or ’koperasi’ of the Lundayeh ladies.
Lastly, we dropped by a factory owned by a Javanese married to a local that produced steam cooked tofu.
Liked the way he designed the simple steaming system. Very clever.
So that was how we spent the day across the border. Much knowledge was learned. We shall upload all the videos soon on Youtube. Do subscribe to our channel to learn more. Next…..Bakelalan folks learning how to plant organic rice
To see more photos, please click our FACEBOOK PAGE
Also please check out our posts on our whole journey of Pesta Nukenen trip:
- Limbang Meritam Mud Volcano
- Limbang Town
- Lawas Awat Awat village
- Fly to Ba’kelalan from Lawas
- Long Langai Bakelalan
- Asang Langai Botanical Garden
- Cross Border to Long Bawan
- Lesson in organic rice planting
- Bario Kelabit Highlands Finally!
- Bario Food & Cultural Festival Begins
- Kelabit Cultural Dance & Traditional Sports
- Beautiful Kelabits Ladies & Their Beads
- What we did in Bario Sarawak
- Bits & Pieces Of Bario Food Festival
- A brief stop over at Marudi Town
- Miri City, Falling for Succulents
- Miri Updates Part 1
- Miri Updates Part 2 and final