Location : Sungai Kapuas, Kecamatan Putussibau Selatan, Kabupaten Kapuas Hulu, Kalimantan Barat, Indonesia.
* The Kapuas River is located in West Kalimantan, Indonesia. At 1,143 kilometers (710 mi) in length, it is the longest river of Indonesia and one of the world's longest island rivers.
Finally, on the third day we set out for Matalunai the destination this trip was all about. It would be the base for the next few days’ activities as we explored further. Martin and his Sungai Asap gang took the longboat organized by our host Madam Lala while we took the car to join them at Lunsara. The 15hp boat would take them an hour while the drive 30min.
From Lunsara the boat ride to Matalunai would be another 3hrplus. The sky was gloomy during the whole trip which was good so we would not have to worry about the sun as the boat was not shaded. As we moved along the Kapuas river, we noticed what seemed like a zip line across the breadth of the river. One end would be secured high up on a tree nearest the bank and the other on the opposite bank much lower. Most would have a boat anchored to it with another short line. These were no ordinary boats but special boats designed for gold mining. Despite the rainy season, much mining activities were still ongoing. Needless to say erosion and environmental destruction are part and parcel of this small time industry. Through our journey up the Kapuas river we noticed many freshly cut hills as a major road was being constructed connecting West Kalimantan with East Kalimantan.
Meaning eventually one can drive all the way from Putussibau to Tanjung Lokang at the very end of West Kalimantan and into Long Apari in the territory of East Kalimantan. Not far from Long Apari is Datah Dawai which has an airport with Susi Air catering for daily flights to Samarinda. Next……Nanga Balang.
Boat ride journey
Also please check out our posts on
- Kota Putussibau
- Lunsara Village
- Rumah Betang Lunsa Hilir, Dayak Taman Longhouse
- Rumah Betang Soo Limung, Dayak Taman Longhouse
- Gua Maria Desa Sayut
- Nanga Balang (Situs Sejarah Neolitikum)
- Dusun Matalunai, Dayak Bukat Village
- Sungai Opea, The Cleanest River In Kapuas Hulu
- Nanga Bungan, The First Of Kapuas River
- Nanga Lapung, Dayak Punan Hovongan Village
- Picnic At Sungai Bejuai
- Dusun Sepan, Dayak Uheng Kereho Village
- Riam Bendak, Desa Kereho