Location : Dusun Danumdoro, Desa Urang Unsa, Kecamatan Putussibau Selatan, Kabupaten Kapuas Hulu, Kalimantan Barat, Indonesia.
A visit to Putussibau will never be complete without seeing the longhouses. It is probably the only place in Borneo where so many longhouses are situated. Sungai Asap in Sarawak may have more but those longhouses are resettled ones because of the Bakun dam.
The Taman Dayak longhouse here is probably the best we have seen around Borneo in terms of design and cleanliness. The common corridor or ‘ruai’ is divided into 4 sections.
(1) the outer most or the ‘working corridor’ is the widest of about 3m and is used for daily chores rattan splitting or fixing fishing nets;
(2) the lounge section of about 2-3m wide to entertain visitors looks like an enclosure with 2 rows of wooden plank as back rests. Interesting and never seen anywhere else. It can be dismantled and stowed away for partying, perhaps; (3) the walkway which is the inner most and nearest to the wall is just a meter wide;
(4) the private section is hidden behind the wall where a small section of the partition between two adjoining units can be opened up for a more private dining session.
We visited 2 Taman Kapuas Dayak longhouses, Rumah Betang Lunsa Hilir in Dusun Danumdoro and Soo Limung in Desa Melapi. Real friendly folks. We had no prior appointments but they invited us in for coffee and a long chat. During one of the conversations, we were informed that the only community of Taman Dayaks in Sarawak can be found near the town of Tatau. Next………Rumah Betang Soo Limung.
Rumah Betang Lunsa Hilir
To see more photos, please click our FACEBOOK PAGE
Also please check out our posts on
- Kota Putussibau
- Lunsara Village
- Rumah Betang Soo Limung, Dayak Taman Longhouse
- Gua Maria Desa Sayut
- Boat Ride Kapuas River
- Nanga Balang (Situs Sejarah Neolitikum)
- Dusun Matalunai, Dayak Bukat Village
- Sungai Opea, The Cleanest River In Kapuas Hulu
- Nanga Bungan, The First Of Kapuas River
- Nanga Lapung, Dayak Punan Hovongan Village
- Picnic At Sungai Bejuai
- Dusun Sepan, Dayak Uheng Kereho Village
- Riam Bendak, Desa Kereho