Location : Museum Balanga, Kota Palangkaraya, Kalimantan Tengah, Indonesia.
The next day’s event opened with the very interesting ‘Balugu’ competition where teams competed to knock down a series of pieces of coconut shells with another piece of shell by the flick from a short bamboo stick. All played on the ground within a certain time frame, a team had to knock down as many standing shells as it could. The bamboo stick was placed on one of the corner of the triangular shaped ‘striker’ shell so as to send it spinning forward to knock down another standing shell. A test of power, technique and accuracy with lots of running back and forth. Balugu can be upgraded into a national sport!
Also please check out our posts on
- Part 1 : Street Parade
- Part 2 : Lomba Jagau / Jawi Nyai
- Part 4 : Balanga Museum
- Part 5 : Lomba Besei Kambe
- Part 6 : Lomba Jukung
- Part 7 : Lomba Sepak Sawut
- Part 8 : Lomba Karungut Putra
- Part 9 : Lomba Masakan
- Part 10 : Lomba Habayang Gasing
- Part 11 : Lomba Tari Pendalaman
- Part 12 : Free & Easy in Palangka Raya