Location : Bontang & Sangkima & Sangatta, Kalimantan Timur, Indonesia.
It was day 3 in Samarinda and we were very eager to hit the road again to kick start our drive towards the highlight of our journey, ‘Derawan/Maratua islands’. At 8.30am sharp Baha the younger brother of our host Guntur was at our doorstep to pick us with his 30day old Toyota Avanza. The first 30minutes of the journey was misleadingly smooth. After that it was nightmarish. Just too many potholes and landslides. The signages ‘Hati Hati Jalan Berlubang’ which meant ‘Beware of potholes’ all along the way were of no help but just to remind frustrated drivers of the road condition.
On the way to Kota Bontang
Coming out of Sangkima our car’s front wheel came off. Such a shock for a 30day old Toyota car. Maybe that should indicate how bad the road condition was. After 15 minutes of searching we managed to locate the missing nut right under the car. Arrived at Sangatta 2 hours later to call it a day.
To see more photos, please click our FACEBOOK PAGE
Also please check out our posts on
- Day 1 : Balikpapan
- Day 2 : Samarinda Seberang
- Day 4 : Kutai National Park, Sangatta
- Day 5 : Wahau
- Day 5 : Miau Baru, Suku Dayak Kayan Village
- Day 5 : Desa Wisata Kampung Merasa, Kelay
- Day 6 : Maratua Island Part 1
- Day 6 : Maratua Island Part 2
- Day 6 : Dead Coral Reef Island
- Day 6 : Teluk Alulu Village
- Day 6 : Kampung Bohe Silian & Bohe Bukut
- Day 6 : Kakaban Island, Stingless Jellyfish Lake
- Day 6 : Sangalaki Island, Diving Snorkeling Paradise
- Day 6 : Pulau Pasir
- Day 7 : Derawan Island